- Fifth Ph.D. summer days LDD'15
- V. annual presentations of Ph.D. students of the Department of circuit theory.
28.05.2015 - 29.05.2015
- PIS - Prof. Jan Mandel - Data assimilation in high and infinite dimension
- LECTURE ANNOTATION
Data assimilation combines the state of a model with incoming data by solving an inverse problem to balance the uncertainty between them. Data assimilation is used in applications from computer vision and remote sensing to weather forecasting. Physical models are formulated as partial differential equations, which have solutions in spaces of functions.
Their discretization leads to high-dimensional problems, and uncertainty can be modeled by stochastic ensembles of simulations. The lecture will discuss the principles of data assimilation with infinitely dimensional state and data, and show the convergence of the ensemble Kalman filter with increasing ensemble size independently of the state and data dimensions, including infinite dimension.
Jan Mandel is Professor and Chair at the Department of Mathematical and Statistical Sciences, University of Colorado Denver. His early work was in areas including discrete optimization, transonic flows, variational inequalities, and aggregation in input-output economic models, which led him to multigrid and domain decomposition methods for partial differential equations. His current interests include design and mathematical analysis of data assimilation algorithms, modeling of wildfires, remote sensing, and assimilation of satellite data. His research has been funded by the National Science Foundation, NASA, and Czech Science Foundation. He published over 150 papers in journals, books, and proceedings.
ABOUT THE PRAGUE COMPUTER SCIENCE SEMINAR
The seminar will take place on the 4th Thursday of each month at 4:00pm (except June, July, August and December) alternately in the buildings of Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Czech Technical University, Karlovo nám. 13, Praha 2 and Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, Charles University, Malostranské nám. 25, Praha 1.
Its program will consist of a one-hour lecture followed by a discussion. The lecture should be based on an (internationally) exceptional or remarkable achievement of the lecturer, presented in a way which is comprehensible and interesting to a broad computer science community. The lectures will be in English.
The seminar framework was laid out by the preparatory committee consisting of Michal Chytil (Czech Academy of Sciences, Computer Science Institute), Pavel Kordík (Czech Tech. Univ., Faculty of Information Technologies), Jan Kybic (Czech Tech. Univ., Faculty of Electrical Engineering), Michal Pěchouček Czech Tech. Univ., Faculty of Electrical Engineering), Jiří Sgall (Charles University, Faculty of Mathematics and Physics), Vojtěch Svátek (University of Economics, Faculty of Informatics and Statistics), Michal Šorel (Czech Academy of Sciences,Institute of Information Theory and Automation), and Filip Železný (Czech Tech. Univ., Faculty of Electrical Engineering)
The idea to organize this seminar emerged in discussions of the representatives of several research institutes on how to avoid the undesired fragmentation of the Czech computer science community.
- eClub Summer Camp (ESC) offers scholarship
- The ESC focuses on three subjects: Big Data, Mobile and Startup. The Big Data category includes projects from the following areas: Big Data, Cloud computing, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence etc. In the Mobile category we want to welcome students or teams focusing on mobile devices, especially on the new wave of wearables. We will also add advanced Internet applications to this category. We are looking forward to working with teams of students in the Startups category on entrepreneurial projects. We will propose a list of interesting projects for the Big Data category if you do not have your own. We expect students in the Mobile and Startup categories to join ESC with their own ideas.
Location: The Blox, Evropská 11, Prague 6, Dejvice
What are the requirements? ESC will operate during the July till middle of September period. You have to make commitment to work minimum of 6 consecutive weeks in the ESC labs in the Dejvice campus on the agreed project. You will be requested to start with a short, not more than one page long essay explaining your chosen project in general words. To report the progress we would like you to set a web presentation. Before you start programing you should prepare the state of the art review to learn the best known technology to start with. You will conclude the stay in the ESC with a summarizing report of your work. Do not worry, we will tell you how to produce these documents, it is easy. You may join a competition for the best app and startup.
eClub will provide experienced mentors in all categories to help in fast and productive start and get over the initial problems. We will organize interesting presentations about smart and mobile apps. We will also prepare entrepreneurship introductory talks with top experts. Upon signing a contract, we will provide a scholarship of eight thousands CZK per month. We will organize an introductory and very practical course (duration of 2 hours) for our Big Data cluster. It will support the Big Data processing including Hadoop. We will give you access to large data sets in the order of TB for the Big Data category. We will provide a large selection of interesting problems for the Big Data category including machine learning, text retrieval, document classification, recommender systems, meta search etc. We will provide tools and devices for the mobile category. We will introduce startups to VCs.
01.06.2015 - 30.09.2015
- The Wonderful World of Nonlinearity: Modeling and Characterization of RF and Microwave Circuits
- We would like to invite you on the guest lecture "The Wonderful World of
Nonlinearity: Modeling and Characterization of RF and Microwave
Circuits" presented by José Carlos Pedra, which will take place in the
room 52 on 2nd June at 2:30 pm. More information can be found in the
attached invitation letter.
- PIERS - Progress in Electromagnetics Research Symposium 2015 in Prague
- Electromagnetic (EM) Academy (http://emacademy.org/) in collaboration with the Department of Electromagnetic field of the FEE - CTU will organize international conference dedicated to the presentation of new advances in research of EM field, both in terms of the theory of EM field, as well as for applications of EM field in communications, medicine, transportation, industry, scientific research, and so on.
Motto of the conference is: "We are speaking the same language, Maxwell's Equations".
06.07.2015 - 09.07.2015
- MISTA 2015 Conference
- This conference series serves as a forum for an international community of researchers, practitioners and vendors on all aspects of multi-disciplinary scheduling. The aim is to bring together scheduling researchers and practitioners from all the disciplines that engage with scheduling research.
25.08.2015 - 28.08.2015
- HoloMAS 2015
02.09.2015 - 04.09.2015